The Royal Liège Tennis Club

The Royal Liège Tennis Club was founded in 1885 by the ladies P. Trasenster and M. Habets and the gentlemen E. de Laveley, J. Desoer, M. Trasenster, M. Gérard, L. Nagelmackers, G. and M. Laloux and P. Neujean. As for seniority.
Edouard de Laveley was the first President of R.LT.C.
It was the second Club in the Belgian circles of tennis.

In the beginning, the Club was situated in Rue du Vieux Majeur, in the center of the Fragnée neighbourhood, at five minutes walk from the Guillemins station. After some years, it moved to the park of the Val Benoît abbey, along the Meuse, not far from the boundaries of the city. Its ten courts stretched out over a quiet and green area, surrounded by beautiful trees, decorated with groves of lilac and next to a vast lake with bushes of roses where moorhen were frisking. The Club remained at Val Benoît until 1931 and had one of the most glorious times of its history there. In 1932, it was replaced again, this time to the wooded flank of the hill of Sart-Tilman thanks to the joint efforts of Mrs R. Laloux and Mme E. Dupont.

Some of its members were among the first champions of Belgium: Mr. R. de Rossius d'Humain, who won in 1895. Mr. M. Nagelmackers succeeded him in 1896 and Mr. R. Rossius d'Humain regained his title in 1897. Then Mr. W. le Maire de Warzée showed up, winning in 1901 and the five years on row, from 1906 to 1910. Some time later, in 1914, the winner of the men’s singles was Mr. L. Trasenster. Mr. F. Anciaux wan the junior championships of Belgium in 1911.

As for doubles, the national championship was won in 1897 by Mrs. R. de Rossius d'Humain and Mr. M. Nagelmackers. Mr. L. Trasenster and Mr. W. le Maire de Warzée carried off the title seven times, between 1901 and 1909. Mr. L. Trasenster continued an eight time in 1912 and in 1908 with Miss. L. Dufrénoy for mixed doubles and in 1909 and 1910 with Mme. J. Chaudoir.

Mme M. Habets won the Belgian ladies championship in 1897, which is the year of the club’s creation. It was Mme. P. Trasester’s turn in 1898, 1900 and 1904. Mme. Comblen in 1899 and in 1901: a bit after, we had the victory of Miss M. Dufrénoy, one of the best Belgian players of all times: she made part of the international circuit and in five years she became six times national champion, between 1905 and 1910: she did not defend her title in 1909 and it was Mme. J. Chaudoir who got away with it. Moreover, Miss M. Dufrénoy wan twice the ladies’ doubles. Mrme. J. Chaudoir twice also and Miss. M. Trasenster who became Mme. R. Dupont three times between 1906 and 1913.

In short, from 1895 to 1914, the representatives of R.LiègeT.C. competed on a fair and friendly basis with their nice rivals of the Leopold Club of Brussels.

Text and pictures:
R.Liège T.C.
Gazette sportive : le tennis Liègeois a une histoire.
Livre d'or de la Fédération R.B. De Lawn Tennis 1902- 1952